Bug Dramatics

Sunday, April 18, 2010

One time when I was younger, my parents and I went to Ocean City, NJ for just the day.  We had a wonderful time walking the boardwalk, hitting the special little shops along the shoreline.  On our way down the ramp, after a day of eating tasty food and finding great sales, an unexpected event happened.  My mom had been talking to my dad and I about something and mid-story a giant bug of some kind flew into her mouth right down her throat.  My dad and I didn't know what had happened.  She immediately stopped her story, began gagging, and managed to get out:  "I swallowed a bug!  I swallowed a bug!  Go get me some salt water taffy or something.  I'm gagging!  I'm gagging!  I'm going to be sick!"  At this point, the entire state of New Jersey knew what was happening since my mom is not a quiet person by nature.  Everyone was glaring at us. My poor father and I go running up the ramp, find the nearest candy store, barge through the doors, and bark at the lady behind the counter that we need some candy and we need it fast.  Once my mom had something to clear the remains of the uninvited insect guest from both her throat and her mind, all was well.  Although she insisted that it had been a huge moth or beetle of some kind, it probably was only a gnat or, worst case scenario, a fly.  We trudged back to our car with yet another fond memory and with the knowledge that when telling a story at the shore, beware of flying critters.  Otherwise, it might be Shriver's Salt Water Taffy to the rescue.

0 comments: