Snorkeling Does Not Equal Scuba Diving

Saturday, April 17, 2010

When dating, the first time you meet your boyfriend or girlfriend's parents is typically when you want to make a good impression.  You wear your best suit or a nice dress and hope you don't stumble over your words.  The first time I met my husband's parents was an experience I will, and they will, never forget.  They were living in Hawaii at the time and I was very fortunate enough to be able to go out there to spend time with them.  We hit it off right away at the airport.  It was fairly early when we arrived so we planned on heading right to a beach.  I had never seen or been in the Pacific Ocean before so I was so excited.  I had heard stories about the clear, blue water and the abundance of sea life just waiting to be observed and photographed with underwater cameras.  We packed up the cars with all the beach gear, including snorkel equipment, and headed to Hapuna Beach.  I will never forget the view as I stood on the sandy shore looking out at the ocean.  It was heaven on earth and I thought to myself... is this even real?  My husband, future mother-in-law, and I went out into the lukewarm water together.  I had brought out a snorkel and goggles to put on and use for exploring the world below the waves.  In true Jacques Cousteau style, I spit in my goggles, positioned my snorkel perfectly over my nose and mouth, and dove right in.  Yes, I dove right in.  No, I didn't have scuba gear on.  I had snorkel gear on.  A snorkel is not meant to be flooded with water nor is the snorkeler meant to submerge themselves completely in the water.  Well, I immediately nearly drowned, re-surfaced shooting salty sea water out of my snorkel tube, and coughed until I was red in the face.  Or perhaps, I was red in the face with sheer embarrassment.  Hard to say.  Luckily, my future mother-in-law has a great sense of humor and thought that it was the funniest thing ever.  In fact, we still crack up about it to this day.  Let this be a lesson to all...snorkel and scuba are two very different things.

0 comments: